Skip to main content

Caroline Beauty Geeks Carpet Freshener Home Hack

Welcome onboard to any new followers of my blog posts. Admittedly, I haven't written for sometime now, I have really missed it. Life, has sadly just taken over. Or I've just not been in writing mode.

Some of you reading this will already know, I am a product developer, formulator and total beauty geek who loves anything that sparkles! I have my own well-being, body range, hair care and home fragrance brand. My background is Beauty Therapy which helps enormously with my product creations. I have spent many years using lots of brands within the beauty industry. I trained full-time at college in Suffolk and worked for numerous years (I wont share how many years for or how long ago, because Id have to admit to being old). I loved my hands on beauty work. I went on to manage several salons, spas and then went on to open and develop my own accredited training academy.
Today, you'll find me in my purpose built log cabin amongst the trees and nature working my creative magic, designing and making lovely vegan friendly products for the public.

Home Hacks: 
Never underestimate the value of the items you have in your store cupboard. Once you have a simple understanding of the science behind how and why it works in cooking, its just the same around the home. Whats more, its so much fun to create your own product that costs less money, you know exactly whats inside of it. Plus you made it!

So, today I am going to share with you my home hack on making carpet freshener. This recipe is fine for pets, and young children. It goes without saying: patch test on a small part of your carpet first before using. I have been making my own carpet freshener for years now. This method also doubles up as a freshener for your hoover bags and filters. They will be benefiting from the ingredients being sucked up into the hoover too. 

You need:
2 cups of Bicarbonate of Soda (also known as Baking Soda)
1 tbsp of Cornflower (also known as Cornstarch)
Fragrance: Essential oils are great for this. If you have pets try using Peppermint, Citrus scents or Eucalyptus. Add 20-30 drops of essential oil to the dry mix. Smell as you go along, make sure its scented to your desired strength.

About the ingredients:
Bicarbonate of Soda or Baking Soda: Baking soda is a natural deodoriser. Which makes it particularly great for pets. This product has numerous uses around the home. So keep a small supply handy. I've got other uses for it I can share later in another blog. It can be prone to clump easily. This is also why its important it stays dry. You'll often find this in the supermarket where the cooking ingredients are.

Cornflower: Another great deodoriser and cleaning product for lifting stains. You'll also find this where the cooking ingredients are or near to gravies as its often used to thicken sauces.
Fragrance: This is a personal choice. Essential oils are powerful as they are plant based. A little goes a long way so be careful. Essential oils may be found by the pharmaceutical products. If you purchase them from the high street they may be diluted down slightly which is fine for this recipe.

How to make:
Easy. Simply add the dry ingredients together. Add the fragrance and mix thoroughly. You can make this up well in advance. Or even double your batch size and make different fragrances? What you need to ensure is that you store it in a clean, dry storage jar or bag. I added mine into a sealable pouch style bag. But a zip-lock bag would be perfect. Or a mason jar or an old up-cycled jam jar or something similar.
How to use:

If your carpet is in desperate need of a good vacuum. Run the hoover over it prior to using the carpet freshener. This will just help to remove any surface debris and enable the powdered carpet freshener to work more effectively.Sprinkle over the carpet area and leave to sit and absorb for 20-30 minutes. The longer you can leave it, the better. I tend to leave mine whilst I go and clean another room. Pre-warn the rest of the household that you are cleaning the carpet so they do not walk all over it whilst its doing its thing.
When you are ready, run the hoover over the carpet and you'll be left with clean smelling carpets. A simple, easy recipe that has saved you pennies, whilst saving on bottles of wasteful plastic. Plus you also know exactly what is inside your product because you made it!
I hope this has proved useful. If it has, leave a comment. Share the link with friends and family. Most of all, enjoy having fun making your own eco-friendly products. 
Happy hoovering!
Love & Sparkles
Caroline X
www.ssemporium.co.uk
For all my artisan vegan friendly products 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fake Tanning: Manual V Spray

Firstly, just to clarify the differences between the two types of fake tanning. Manual tanning is applied directly onto and into the skin that has been prepared usually in a cream or lotion format and then is allowed to develop.Spray tan is applied using a compressor type air gun and is applied in a very fine mist in a liquid format and sits onto the skin until it soaks in and then develops. Manual tanning has made a big come from in recent times. Whilst previously it was all about spray tanning treatments for numerous reasons: quickness of the treatment, even application and less product generally used. But with clients wanting  to come to the salon, or treatment area and enjoy a full treatment that involves them giving up an hour or so of their time. This has really helped the manual tan application see a big come back hit! From my experience of learning many moons ago the application of manual tanning before spray tan was even out there....I know myself, I wasn't too kee

6 Shocking Soy Wax Candle Benefits

Candles for me mean so much more than a light source. I love nothing more than a snuggle on the sofa, candle light to create that cozy ambience. It creates calm, lovely soft lighting alongside wonderful fragrances that can take you right back to that special time or place. They can mean romance, they can mean sorrow and joy. I light a candle in remembrance to my loved ones. We light candles to celebrate birthdays and special occasions by placing them on top of the cake. The burning question I often get asked why I chose soy wax for my artisan candles? I get comments that soy is more expensive than say cheaper options such as paraffin wax for example? Well, the simple answer is if you dig a little deeper you will see that the savings come at a higher cost in the end. In simple terms, soy wax is better. Better for the environment, better for the home, better for our families and it creates a better perfomring product in my opinion. Which is so important for me when I am creatin