Skip to main content

Hints & Tips : Tanning

One of your big investments once you have decided to add tanning to your treatment list, is your kit. If you search the market and look into the prices of these they vary from brand to brand and depending on where you source them from.
My first BIG hint to you is cheapest, isn't always best. Remember if you are buying off the internet via companies such as Ebay or as a second hand item. Ask for a warranty to cover the machine. All brand new machines should come with a years parts and labour warranty. It is also worth mentioning that if buy solutions and products second hand, how can you tell how old they are? All I am saying is please be aware, and look into these things. Sometimes it best for you to buy new, and that way you are covered for everything and you can easily trace items back and get them replaced if they are faulty or damaged.

Routine Machine cleaning:

On a day to day use of your machine you should keep it clean and professional looking, after all, this is a reflection of you and your treatments and services. Simply wipe over the outside of the machine unit with a soapy, damp cloth ( non abrasive), this will remove any sticky residue.
The tanning gun, can be flushed out and cleaned once the tan treatment is complete and left to dry.
At the end of my tanning sessions, I clean my tanning cubicle with warm water and at the same time I use this water to flush through my tanning machine and gun unit, ready for the next days treatments. No cleaning products are necessary. Just good old fashioned warm water.
Clean your cubicle with the machine switched on as though you are spraying someone and work your way around the inside and flooring of your tanning cubicle. You will notice that the water in the tanning gun will more than likely turn a brown tone as its flushing through the machine. This will only use up a few minutes of your time, but it really is worthwhile. of course in the warmer months, my cubicle stands outside in the garden and I use my hosepipe on it (when there is no hosepipe ban of course!).

Weekly maintenance:

This is totally dependable on how frequently you use your machine and how busy you are. I tend to follow the guidelines I have laid out above on a daily basis. Then once a week usually on a Sunday for me. I will take my cubicle outside and give it a proper flush out (weather pending). Then the whole of my gun will be taken apart and cleaned using warm soapy water. This includes the very fine needle, the filter, the front nozzles, the base of the gun that holds all the solution and the tubing that runs through. 
All my spray tanning gun parts, cleaned with warm soapy water and left to dry ready to be  put back together for the next lot of treatments.

Making your cubicle more appealing:


If you are like me and like anything that glitters and sparkles, you will love this idea! I use a brand of products that have a retail product that is designed to add a little glamour to your finished look...this is a glitter spray in gold and silver and smells good enough to eat! I spray the inside of my tanning cubicle with glitter dust and along the sides and I also add a little sparkle across the bottom of my cubicle along the dark towel. This not only smells welcoming but add a touch of prettiness! What person wouldn't want to step inside now?

Preventing "orange" hands:


Ok, so we have all either had this happen to ourselves, or know of a client its happened too, right? If you find through your own application that you need to clean your hands to prevent developing tan. Firstly try as much as possible to wear disposable gloves. Or remember to use COLD water to rinse your hands. Warm or hot water will only help to activate the DHA which is in the tanning product and therefore encourage orange effect hands.
Another additional tip is to mix a small amount of moisturiser in with the application of tan to hands and feet. These are always the telltale signs of a bad application of self tan. You just want a hint of colour not a overdose!

Follow up appointments:

Don`t just think once you have carried out your tanning treatment and taken payment, that's the end of it. Offer an aftercare service that should ideally include instructions on how long to leave the tan to develop plus what to expect whilst its developing. A good homecare routine and a good product(s) to help prolong the effects of the tan. If its available, offer a sample of the moisturiser to try out. A lovely touch is to give your client a little follow up call a day or so later to check how the tans turned out and that they are happy with the results and most importantly do they have any additional questions? Your next question after that will be" when shall we book you in for your next one?".

I hope this has given you some more inspiration with your treatments and services. Sometimes the smallest, touches and changes, can make a massive difference.
Till next time........
Love and sparkles
Caroline King Beauty Geek x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fake Tanning: Manual V Spray

Firstly, just to clarify the differences between the two types of fake tanning. Manual tanning is applied directly onto and into the skin that has been prepared usually in a cream or lotion format and then is allowed to develop.Spray tan is applied using a compressor type air gun and is applied in a very fine mist in a liquid format and sits onto the skin until it soaks in and then develops. Manual tanning has made a big come from in recent times. Whilst previously it was all about spray tanning treatments for numerous reasons: quickness of the treatment, even application and less product generally used. But with clients wanting  to come to the salon, or treatment area and enjoy a full treatment that involves them giving up an hour or so of their time. This has really helped the manual tan application see a big come back hit! From my experience of learning many moons ago the application of manual tanning before spray tan was even out there....I know myself, I wasn't too kee

Failing to prepare, is to preparing to fail: GCSE VTCT Ten Recommendations

I wanted to put together a guidance list of the ten points that I have learnt along my journey teaching this GCSE qualification in order to help support, guide and assist anyone who is about to start teaching this qualification, considering teaching it, or is currently teaching it and needing some additional guidance from someone who has hands on experience. These are my own personal points and by no means set in stone. So please use them as they were intended to be, as a help list. PREPARE: Now I know this might sound a bit of an obvious point as teachers and educators we are always having to think two steps ahead. But by this I mean have your unit scenarios printed for each learner. Have spaces up on your displays so they can collect them if they have lost theirs (students do love to forget things). Have grade descriptors for the unit printed and if they have them glue them into their books so you can mark as you go along and the students know instantly what grade they are

6 Shocking Soy Wax Candle Benefits

Candles for me mean so much more than a light source. I love nothing more than a snuggle on the sofa, candle light to create that cozy ambience. It creates calm, lovely soft lighting alongside wonderful fragrances that can take you right back to that special time or place. They can mean romance, they can mean sorrow and joy. I light a candle in remembrance to my loved ones. We light candles to celebrate birthdays and special occasions by placing them on top of the cake. The burning question I often get asked why I chose soy wax for my artisan candles? I get comments that soy is more expensive than say cheaper options such as paraffin wax for example? Well, the simple answer is if you dig a little deeper you will see that the savings come at a higher cost in the end. In simple terms, soy wax is better. Better for the environment, better for the home, better for our families and it creates a better perfomring product in my opinion. Which is so important for me when I am creatin