Skip to main content

The Healing Power of Dandelions



                                           
       

Harvesting Dandelions

Those bright yellow weeds that seem to pop up overnight in own lawns are far more than just the weeds we commonly refer them to. Get ready to have your mind blown with some wonderful facts that I'm hoping will change your mind about the way you view this plant.
Dandelions are far more nutritional than kale or spinach, they are packed full of vitamins and antioxidants that has super benefits to your body and your skin. Just half a cup of dandelion greens has more calcium than a glass of milk! Their greens are a fabulous source of vitamins C, A and K. Because dandelions are rich in potassium, this makes them a perfect diuretic and an excellent blood detoxifier.
Now I know as a child we referred to them as "wet the beds". They are in fact, great for water retention because of their detoxifying properties. Is this why we called them "wet the beds" do you think???

                                                      
If like me, you want to harvest your own dandelions ensure you do so from an area you know is free from pesticides and is not threaten from chemicals at all. Ideally away from popular walkways and dog routes (if you catch my drift?).
Today, in sunny Norfolk, UK, I have chosen to harvest mine from my own drive and front lawn. Its better to harvest them in Spring time when they are young. They seemed to have popped up over night, as they do. So I took myself off outside in the glorious weather along with a tray to collect my flowers.

Eating & Drinking Dandelions

                                                               
Now the root and the leaves have wonderful benefits too. The root, and the flower heads, can be used to make medicinal tea to aid digestion, muscular aches and pains and bloating too. Simply add to a clean cup and pour over boiling water. Allow to steep for 2-3 minutes, pop a plate over the cup to keep the steam inside and avoid loosing all the goodness from the plant. The plant can taste quite bitter. So add a little honey or sweetener to cut the bitterness.

The leaf can be used in salads, to add a different flavour to your regular salad leaves. You can also use fresh or dried flower petals to decorate your salads and desserts with a burst of sunshine yellow. Today, I am just collecting the blooms and using them to make my own oil infusion so that I can use it directly on my skin and in my artisan soaps, balms and scrubs.
How to prepare your dandelions for infusions
Once you have picked your amount of blooms you can dry them out using a dehydrator or, like me, lay them out on some greaseproof paper in a single layer and place them outside in the midday sunshine to dry out. I did bring mine in over night and then added them to the outdoors for a few more hours the following day to ensure they were thoroughly dried out. Once dried add them to a clean, jar that has a sealed lid to begin your oil infusion.

  1. Pour your oil over the dried blooms and fill to the top of the jar leaving approx 1 cm gap from the rim to allow for the oil to be mixed around. You need to ensure there are no air bubbles as this may encourage mould to grow.
  2. You want to fill the jar half way with blooms and then add a carrier oil of your choice such as Olive Oil, Sweet Almond Oil or Avocado oil. All of which are great oils to use topically on the skin or incorporated into a salve, balm or a soap or scrub, which is how I intend on using mine. For mine I will be using Olive Oil as its one of my favourites for all uses. 
  3. Using a wooden, not metal stick or spoon to slowly mix the blooms in with the oil. Making sure the blooms are fully covered with the oil. Mixing slowly will make sure minimal amounts of air bubble are created. 
  4. Pop the lid on and label with the contents/oil and the date. 
  5. Place this jar in a sunny spot such as a window sill in the conservatory or kitchen window sill for 2 weeks. Check on it every few days and give it a little gentle mix.
    Two weeks later...... 
  6. Using a muslin cloth or sieve, pour the oil with the blooms over and into a jug. 
If time allows you, you can repeat the whole process for a much more intense infusion with more dried blooms and oil added to the already infused oil.
It is important to add your infused oil into a jar that is more resistant to light as sitting your oil in directly light after the infusion will reduce its benefits.
Label it stating what the contents are and the date. Keep it in a cool, dark area to avoid risking the properties of your infusion. Use topically, directly on the skin or add to your products as you wish. I am looking forward to using mine.
Note you will get approx shelf life of 1 year from your infusion. So choose wisely what you use it for. But most importantly enjoy experimenting and enjoying the wonderful benefits of your Dandelion infusion. 


                                                            
                                                            Dandelion Oil infusion 

I hope this has helped you see the typical dandelion in a different light? 
Until next time
Love & Sparkles
Caroline X
Beauty Geek
Eco-friendly Handmade Vegan Products








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fake Tanning: Manual V Spray

Firstly, just to clarify the differences between the two types of fake tanning. Manual tanning is applied directly onto and into the skin that has been prepared usually in a cream or lotion format and then is allowed to develop.Spray tan is applied using a compressor type air gun and is applied in a very fine mist in a liquid format and sits onto the skin until it soaks in and then develops. Manual tanning has made a big come from in recent times. Whilst previously it was all about spray tanning treatments for numerous reasons: quickness of the treatment, even application and less product generally used. But with clients wanting  to come to the salon, or treatment area and enjoy a full treatment that involves them giving up an hour or so of their time. This has really helped the manual tan application see a big come back hit! From my experience of learning many moons ago the application of manual tanning before spray tan was even out there....I know myself, I wasn't too kee

Caroline Beauty Geeks Carpet Freshener Home Hack

Welcome onboard to any new followers of my blog posts. Admittedly, I haven't written for sometime now, I have really missed it. Life, has sadly just taken over. Or I've just not been in writing mode. Some of you reading this will already know, I am a product developer, formulator and total beauty geek who loves anything that sparkles! I have my own well-being, body range, hair care and home fragrance brand. My background is Beauty Therapy which helps enormously with my product creations. I have spent many years using lots of brands within the beauty industry. I trained full-time at college in Suffolk and worked for numerous years (I wont share how many years for or how long ago, because Id have to admit to being old). I loved my hands on beauty work. I went on to manage several salons, spas and then went on to open and develop my own accredited training academy. Today, you'll find me in my purpose built log cabin amongst the trees and nature working my creative magic, desig

6 Shocking Soy Wax Candle Benefits

Candles for me mean so much more than a light source. I love nothing more than a snuggle on the sofa, candle light to create that cozy ambience. It creates calm, lovely soft lighting alongside wonderful fragrances that can take you right back to that special time or place. They can mean romance, they can mean sorrow and joy. I light a candle in remembrance to my loved ones. We light candles to celebrate birthdays and special occasions by placing them on top of the cake. The burning question I often get asked why I chose soy wax for my artisan candles? I get comments that soy is more expensive than say cheaper options such as paraffin wax for example? Well, the simple answer is if you dig a little deeper you will see that the savings come at a higher cost in the end. In simple terms, soy wax is better. Better for the environment, better for the home, better for our families and it creates a better perfomring product in my opinion. Which is so important for me when I am creatin