Skip to main content

Like a Fish Out of Water: Make that career change.

New Year, New You? 

Off to the gym you go for a month....if you are lucky? Then its the detox for Summer. Not eating this, only drinking that. We all do it, every single year. How about you make a new start that is all about you, but also about your goals and aspirations?
January flew by for me in a blink of an eye. Its supposed to be a quiet month? Not for me, it was full of working deadlines and targets. So February is here and I am sitting thinking where has that month gone as well? So I have decided its time to use my time and collectively decide what I really want for me?
Ask yourself that same question? 

How often have you thought about what if.......? 

What if I won the lottery I would......What if I have a spare 5 minutes I would....If only I had some spare cash I would book......
Guilty as charged on that one! I, like am sure most of you, have said that you are going to book yourself onto more courses, do something that is just for you and not for the family.
Well now is your time. Its a special birthday for me this year and I determined to make this my time and fulfill at least a few of the things I have always wished and wanted to do, but have never got round to for no reason other than myself.

Courses for you:

As beauty is my background I am going to focus this blog on that. For me, I love to learn. True, it is scary the worry what if I fail, what if I don't know anyone on the course. What if.......What if you meet some amazing aspiring people. That become lifelong friends that help you fulfill your dreams and teach you new tricks and trades you would never have known without attending the course?
Again it is only you stopping this from happening.
Start with a focus area you would like to begin with. So it could be that you know nothing about make up and skin care. But you are interested in it but before you book onto a full course you would like to refresh your own make up application and learn how to adapt colour tones etc.

Where to begin?

I am looking at some workshops designed for just this purpose. For people that wish to dangle their toes into the water for a little taster. but are not sure if they wish to commit to jumping into the ocean. Right.....you all know where am coming from with this?
So look around for little workshops that may not offer a qualification. But are a minimal fee and will help you firstly get over the fear of new ambitions and new ideas. It will help you meet new people, who are just like you and hopefully the person running the workshops can advise and point you in the right direction if you wish to take the "Big Plunge" into the ocean and book on a fully accredited qualification.
Wow wouldn't that be a life changer to start something new and exciting. That is right for you and feels good.

Goals and dreams

When I started my career over 20 years ago. I was a very shy girl with lots of ideas but little passion. Working in different areas of the beauty and hair industry has given me that drive and passion to succeed. Its given me a mindful of knowledge and confidence to know I can do the job I love. Also the help and support of the people around you.
For me, it about helping other people to succeed and that in turn, makes me very happy to know I helped and guided them at a time in their life's when they weren't sure which direction to turn. I gave them the support and the guidance to follow the right direction.

In essence:

It doesn't have to be about the hair and beauty industry. It can be about anything you want it to be. My career has taken lots of challenges, but without the bad times, no good times would come from it. I didn't think back in my college days that I would of have a successful salon and be running my own accredited training school and teaching a cohort of teenagers to take their first toe dangle in a pond. Ready to take the big plunge into the ocean.
How amazing is that? I get to do a job I love, with like minded people, offering guidance and support alongside that daily.
Yes its challenging and tiring and sometimes I sit and wonder why?? But as I sit here writing this today. I know exactly why.
Because I want to make a difference. Only YOU can make that difference. Don`t sit waiting for the challenge to grab you under. Life will pass you by and you will always be wondering what if?
Be the big  fish out of water. Fight for what you believe in and one fine day, your day will come and you will see how much of a difference you can make.

Final Thoughts:

Make this year the year you will make a difference in your life. Even if you come out of it and think its not for you. You will never know unless you try.
You make your success. I am still working on mine. The question now is "are you going to get working on yours?"

Till next time
Love & sparkle
Caroline King
www.steppingstonestrainingacademy.co.uk




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fake Tanning: Manual V Spray

Firstly, just to clarify the differences between the two types of fake tanning. Manual tanning is applied directly onto and into the skin that has been prepared usually in a cream or lotion format and then is allowed to develop.Spray tan is applied using a compressor type air gun and is applied in a very fine mist in a liquid format and sits onto the skin until it soaks in and then develops. Manual tanning has made a big come from in recent times. Whilst previously it was all about spray tanning treatments for numerous reasons: quickness of the treatment, even application and less product generally used. But with clients wanting  to come to the salon, or treatment area and enjoy a full treatment that involves them giving up an hour or so of their time. This has really helped the manual tan application see a big come back hit! From my experience of learning many moons ago the application of manual tanning before spray tan was even out there....I know myself, I wasn't too kee

6 Shocking Soy Wax Candle Benefits

Candles for me mean so much more than a light source. I love nothing more than a snuggle on the sofa, candle light to create that cozy ambience. It creates calm, lovely soft lighting alongside wonderful fragrances that can take you right back to that special time or place. They can mean romance, they can mean sorrow and joy. I light a candle in remembrance to my loved ones. We light candles to celebrate birthdays and special occasions by placing them on top of the cake. The burning question I often get asked why I chose soy wax for my artisan candles? I get comments that soy is more expensive than say cheaper options such as paraffin wax for example? Well, the simple answer is if you dig a little deeper you will see that the savings come at a higher cost in the end. In simple terms, soy wax is better. Better for the environment, better for the home, better for our families and it creates a better perfomring product in my opinion. Which is so important for me when I am creatin

Failing to prepare, is to preparing to fail: GCSE VTCT Ten Recommendations

I wanted to put together a guidance list of the ten points that I have learnt along my journey teaching this GCSE qualification in order to help support, guide and assist anyone who is about to start teaching this qualification, considering teaching it, or is currently teaching it and needing some additional guidance from someone who has hands on experience. These are my own personal points and by no means set in stone. So please use them as they were intended to be, as a help list. PREPARE: Now I know this might sound a bit of an obvious point as teachers and educators we are always having to think two steps ahead. But by this I mean have your unit scenarios printed for each learner. Have spaces up on your displays so they can collect them if they have lost theirs (students do love to forget things). Have grade descriptors for the unit printed and if they have them glue them into their books so you can mark as you go along and the students know instantly what grade they are